BUY A PRINT
Print Size – 9 x 12
Printed in 80 lb coated cover stock.
Price – $8.95
Black & White Print
Price – $6.95
THE View of Plymouth is taken from the grounds of Mount Edgecumbe, looking
across the lower part of the Sound. About the middle distance is St. Nicholas’ Island;
beyond which are perceived the ramparts of the citadel. Between the citadel and the
point of land to the right, where several small vessels are seen, is the entrance of the
creek called the Catwater.
The towns of Plymouth and Devonport-the latter until 1824 having usually been
called Plymouth Dock, or briefly, Dock-stand nearly in the same relation to each other
as Portsmouth and Portsea, except that they are not contiguous the distance between
them being about a mile and a half Plymouth is the old borough, and Devonport is
the modem town ; the latter, indeed, has been entirely built within, the last hundred-
and-htty years, since the establishment of the royal dockyard by William III., in 1691.
Each town returns two members to Parliament, this privilege having been conferred
on Devonport by the Reform Bill- and the municipal government of each is vested in
separate authorities. Plymouth «and Devonport, with Stonehouse, which lies between
them, may be considered as forming one large town, which occupies a parallelogram
about two miles and a half m length by one in breadth, and contains, with the suburbs
of Morice-town and Stoke, about a hundred thousand inhabitants.
Plymouth harbour, or, as it is generally called, Sutton Pool, is on the land side
nearly surrounded by houses, and the entrance to it from the Catwater is protected by
two stone piers, about ninety feet apart. Plymouth has a considerable coasting trade
with London, Bristol, Hull, Newcastle, and other parts of England, and also carries on
a direct trade with the Baltic, the Mediterranean, America and the West Indies. The
principal exports are copper, tin, and lead, ore, manganese, granite, and pilchards.
There are about fifty decked fishing-boat belonging to Plymouth, which not only
supply its market and that of Devonport with plenty of excellent fish, but also furnish
a considerable quantity for Bath London, and other places. The fish most common in
Plymouth market arc hake, gurnards, pipers, tub-fish, whiting-pouts, soles, mullets red
and grey, and John-Dories. Quin, that he might enjoy the latter fish in perfection: took
an express journey from Bath to Plymouth. The export of granite and other kinds of
stone for the purposes of building, is greatly facilitated by a railway, which extends from
about the middle of Dartmoor to the quays at Sutton Pool and Catwater. The larger
class of merchant-vessels generally anchors in the Catwater ; and in time of war it is
the usual rendezvous for transports. It is sheltered from south-westerly gales by Mount
Battan, and is sufficiently spacious to afford anchorage for six or eight hundred sail of
such ships as are usually employed in the merchant service. There are about 320 ships
belonging to Plymouth, the tonnage of which according to the old admeasurements, is
about 26,000 tons.
Though the neighbourhood of Plymouth affords so many beautiful and
interesting views, the town itself presents but little to excite the admiration of the
stranger. It is very irregularly built ; and most of the old houses have a very mean
appearance, more especially when contrasted with some of recent erection. Several
large buildings, within the last twenty or thirty years, have been erected at Plymouth
and Devonport, in the pure Grecian style; and the two towns afford ample evidence of
the imitative genius of the architects. At the corner of almost every principal street, the
stranger is presented with reminiscences of Stuart, and Revett’s Athens.
Plymouth citadel is situated to the southward of the town, and at the eastern
extremity of the rocky elevation called the Hoe. It commands the passage to the
Hamoaze, between St. Nicholas’ Island and the main-land, as well as the entrance of
the Catwater. It was erected on the site of the old fort, in the reign of Charles II., and
consists of five bastions, which are further strengthened with ravelins and hornworks.
The ramparts are nearly three-quarters of a mile in circuit ; and there are platforms for
a hundred-and twenty cannon. The entrance to the citadel is on the north, through an
outer and an inner gate. Within the walls are the residence of the lieutenant-governor,
officers’ houses and barracks for the garrison, with a magazine, chapel, and hospital.
In the centre of the green is a bronze statue of George II., the work of an artist named
Robert Pitt, and erected, in 1728, at the expense of Louis Dufour, Esq., an officer of the
garrison. An excellent panoramic view of Plymouth, Saltram, the Catwater, the Sound,
Mount Edgecumbe, and other places, is to be obtained from the ramparts, round which
visitors are permitted to walk.